Monday, 18 October 2010

Delayed Summer Project

So were back to the summer project that went AWOL. Today has been spent fussing with re-creations, paragraph styles, tech problems & generally getting back to grips with InDesign. After four trips back and forth from the printers we finally managed to get the files all correct and it's been set up to print. Photos to follow of the actual book, but for now heres some JPGs.

Front and back covers.
We wanted to keep this simple and effective and not overcrowd it. I think this has worked quite well by using the corners rather than setting up a standard title situation. I think it makes it quite interesting and unusual. The page size is 200mm by 200mm as it is a standard size which we could all work to & get printed cheaply. The grid we used was a 3 column grid, 12.7mm margins & 5mm gutters.

Inside front cover & page 1.
Again very simple leading into the book which I think is effective for the same reasons. I like the unusual layout. We used 'Eurostyles' 10pt for the body copy & 'Rockwell extra bold' for the title. The brief was to take elements of all four of our original layouts & combine them to create a consistent book. Body copy was chosen from Vicky Kwan's & the title font is from my work. We felt these worked well both individually and as a combination as both are easily legible but are different enough that they don't merge.

Page 2 & 3.
Re-creation of my original layout. The font has been changed to 'Eurostyles' to fit with the rest of the book, this meant I needed to make a few tweaks in order to realign the copy & stop any widows etc.
My layout was also the only one of the 4 to have running heads at the top so these have now been moved to the bottom.

Page 4 & 5.
Due to the slight change in page size & grid the image had to be changed in size in order to keep the composition correct. We chose to keep coloured questions throughout as all white looked a little plain. The questions are also in bold as 3 of 4 previous designs already has this element.

Page 6 & 7.
First set of Vicky's spreads. This was more of an issue as 3 of us had black backgrounds while Vicky's had full illustrations. We tried a few different things but in the end we elected to keep the imagery the same & make it contrast with the rest of the work. She also had a 1,2,1 set up of a 4 page spread rather than a two double page set up which meant a rearranging of her imagery in order to make it fit.

Page 8 & 9.
As we all used different colours in our imagery we felt it bet to each use different colours in our text as well that would complement the imagery so Vicky stuck with red.

Page 10 & 11.
Quite similar to mine in the colour scheme, the only difference is there is no space between the questions & the answers due to space issues it had to be compressed in order to fit the whole interview into the space provided & keep the composition interesting.

Page 12 & 13.
On some pages we have removed the running heads as it would of ruined the composition of the page.

Page 14 & 15.
Another black background layout, the main difference here is the use of colour which is blue instead of yellow so as to be consistent with the imagery.

Page 16 & 17.

Page 18 & 19.
Back to simplicity to fit in with the front cover & contents page. After our trips to the printers we had to add two more pages so as to create the required 4 pages for a signature. These are not shown here because they are blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment