Okay. So due to recent developments with this project I'm taking a lot more time, care and effort about the outcome, I'm making, working, scraping, re-making, re-working and occasionally re-scraping what I've done. But I'm fairly happy with what is below.
Got some 3D paper type and stuff.
These take about 20-30 minutes to make EACH, depending on which letter it is (except for 'I' which is easy).
I made 24 letters. Only 3 of which were 'I'. You do the math.
So after the delight I had after finding out that actually, not only was making hand drawn kinetic type ( with a dodgy camera I ordered on eBay from Honk Kong) really fun, it looked pretty cool and other people actually like it. Ergo: make more. I've decided that I'm going to work my way through the album and see if I can do the whole thing. The first one was scratchy and unplanned. Change that. Think about this more. The second track 'Pathfinder' is about half done now and looking sweet. Not going to post it yet but here's some light typography.
Mmmm. Light Stencils.
Frankly, these were some happy accidents that occurred when I was moving all the stuff off my table. But they look sweet, so I'm going to immediately upload the 2nd one to my website.
Getting down with The Dead And Godless. I love this typeface. I want to use it for everything. Logistically, stylistically and aesthetically that's either impossible or a really bad idea. But it'd be fun to try.
Take an older piece of work.
Introduce a black background.
Add a set of tiny upside down crucifixes.
Put your web address at the bottom.
Send it to the printers.
Coming soon to www.mercerdrawsthings.bigcartel.com
I felt like doing something type based. I kept it really plain and simple. Hopefully in an elegant way.
Front cover. Font is OPS DIN.
Pages 1&2. Outlining the early steps of the project.
It looks a little odd when it's spread out like this on a flat design because you don't get the fold and the two sides sort of merge together. It looks better in the real book. I'll get some photos up.
Pages 3&4 in which we find the script for the voice-over.
Pages 5&6. Outlining the later stages of the project.
Throughout the book I used different point sizes to emphasise some words and different tracking and spacing to make the layout and type seem a little erratic and free-formed in the same way that the illustration was. I think the coloured bars hold it together well.