Friday 23 March 2012

EMP Vinyl Toy - Small Town Folk - Axe Killer (not quite finished)

Killer Mask Guy from Small Town Folk. If you don't know the movie you should check it out, it was shot in my hometown.
This is made using a 4inch glow in the dark DIY Munny toy which obviously I've customised by cutting the ears & tail off, painting & sewing the mask. There's also an axe to go with this but it's not painted yet, I may add some detail underneath the mask and I'm also going to make a second mask as this one is removable. I tried some different techniques to paint this from last time. I used fewer colours for a start which proved to make it a lot easier as you don't have to constantly be waiting for it to dry. I also watched some tutorials on painting vinyl toys and was convinced to use a wash. I painted the dungarees in a cerulean blue, then washed over that a couple of times with an ultramarine to pick out the detail, and then once more with a brown to give a muddy appearance. Then I did a little dry brushing to a couple of areas in a white to make the clothing look worn. After inking in the outlines I added a really light splatter to the front & the hands. The key to painting blood splatter is to be sparing, otherwise it looks really unrealistic.

Face zipped up.


Face unzipped.


Left hand side.


Back with buttons on mask.


Right hand side.


The point of getting the glow in the dark vinyl was so that it would shine out of the eyeholes & mouth. Unfortunately taking photos of this has proved to be fairly difficult. I will sort this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment