Monday 26 October 2009

DaDa Poem

The concept of the DaDa Poem is quite simple. Choose a newspaper article, cut it out, cut out all the words and place them into a "hat." Draw 15 words at random, keep them in that order and there you have your poem. It is supposed to say something about you according the DaDaists. Frankly i think it doesn't. So the article i chose was about Mr. Nick Fascist Griffin, leader of the BNP, appearing on question time. I followed the afore mentioned procedure and this is my poem.
Marched
Obnoxious
Exposed
Born
Prevented
Holocaust
Wouldn't
Griffin
Bigot
Said
The
Fears
Nearly
Poured

This of course makes no sense what so ever. The task now was to visually represent it.


Marched - I took the idea of marching as in an invasion, hence Britain is being invaded.

As - I didn't really know where to go with this, kind of been left out.

Obnoxious - Hitler was pretty obnoxious i'd say, also the big mouth is slightly grotesque.

Exposed - Nudity

Born - I'd say that element is pretty well represented here.

Prevented - The colour of the union jack is made up of the word "no" Britain is rejecting the BNP

Holocaust - References to Nazism such as swaztika flag, hitler, german helmet.

Wouldn't - same as prevented really.

Griffin - Nick Griffin, name tattooed across the chest, represting him bring the nazis to britain.

Bigot - Elements of Nazism

Said - Used the said to have a speech bubble containing the rest of the words. Thats definately not cheating...

Overall I am very happy with this piece, I think I managed to stick to the brief, illustrate each word effectively but also to take the idea somewhere quite personal to me which creates a strong emotion when viewed. I also really like the composition of this, the eye is drawn from section to section by the use of colour here and I feel that the small details really make the image give it's message well.

No comments:

Post a Comment